From Leith Links to The Tinny
Lochend Golf Club is one of the oldest Golf Clubs in Scotland. We can trace our roots and heritage back to the mid 1700’s when golf was first played on Leith Links by the like of King Charles and for golf historians the likes of Thomas Kincaid who wrote the first instruction book on how to play golf. By the late 1800’s when golf became more popular many regular players at Leith Links decided to move on: some headed for the Braids where they formed Edinburgh Thistle, others headed down the coast to Muirfield to establish The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers.
However a group of local people remained faithful to Leith and continued to play on the Links from 1891 and formed Lochend Golf Club. Unfortunately in 1904 Edinburgh Town Council banned golf on Leith Links. For the next few years members played at different courses around the area, especially Portobello. In 1908 following years of lobbying and negotiation the Town Council allowed Lochend Golf Club to move to the new Craigentinny Municipal Golf course…which is still our home today.
Lochend Golf Clubs full history was captured in a wonderful book to celebrate our 125th Anniversary in 2016: “From Leith Links to The Tinny”. Like many golf clubs we have faced many challenges over the years:
- it took until 1938 before we had access to a “Clubhouse”
- this was the same year Edinburgh Town Council turned down the Club’s request to play golf on a Sunday!
- during WWII the course was used to site anti-aircraft Z-battery. Most of the course, like many others, was ploughed up to grown crops of oats and potatoes.